Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be - Farley Mowat

I just finished re-reading 'The Dog Who Wouldn't Be' by Farley Mowat.

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be

This is a wonderful feel good book.  I've read it before and I fully expect to read it again.  If I had a child this would be on the top of the list for bedtime reading.  It is a book for the young and young at heart. 

I read it curled up in bed with my own dog who will not be.  Laughing out loud at the funny parts, and there are many, I was transported into a beautiful, uncomplicated world of a boy, a family and a dog.  It was the perfect antidote to the dire news that makes its way into my consciousness through the newspapers and internet news sites I peruse daily.

It is good to remember that there is a place like Saskatchewan.  Where you can dig your toes in the earth and feel the wind blowing freely, ruffling your hair and the long grasses in treeless plains.  Where perhaps your own beloved dog can run freely, chasing a gopher or rabbit over those endless plains.